Here's some top tips to help keep your dog cool and comfortable as the temperature rises...
- Make sure your pet has access to plenty of shaded areas; some dogs may prefer to stay indoors.
- Ensure he always has a supply of cool, fresh water.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest time of day; it’s best to walk your dog in the early morning and evening.
- Ice cubes, a paddling pool and various other products – such as a cool coat or a cool pad – can help to keep dogs cool.
- If you have a barbecue, don’t forget to keep an eye on your pet. Kebab skewers, for example, can cause nasty injuries and some foods may result in an upset stomach.
Please do remember that you should NEVER leave a dog in a car – not even for a couple of minutes with the window ajar. Temperatures rise very quickly and this can be fatal. It's just not worth the risk!
If you're at all concerned about your dog, seek vet advice.
And finally, enjoy the sunshine with your four-legged friend!