Bud the American Bulldog survives heatstroke

Bud, a four-year-old American bulldog, had been walking with owner Emma Charlton, from Wavertree, Liverpool, for just 10 minutes when things took a turn for the worst. Bud began struggling to breathe and, despite his owner recognising there was a problem and heading back home, he collapsed before reaching their front door.

Having suffered a heatstroke, the dog was immediately rushed to the PDSA Huyton Pet Hospital.

PDSA vet Steven Goldie said, “Bud’s temperature was critically high when he was brought in. We knew we had to act quickly to have any chance of saving him. “We used water and wet towels to cool Bud and placed him on a drip to get fluids inside him. Despite our initial fears, Bud pulled through. He’s one of the lucky ones, many pets sadly don’t survive heatstroke.”

Emma said, "I was so frightened when the vets told me he might not make it. I can’t thank them enough for everything they did. I’m now much more careful about when I take Bud for a walk when it’s hot and want to warn others of the dangers.”

PDSA vet Rebecca Ashman has warned that heatstroke can start with little to no warning, and have dire consequences.

"Dogs can’t control their body temperature the way we can. The only way they can try to cool down is through panting and sweat glands in their paws," she said. “One of the most common causes of heatstroke or hyperthermia is dogs that have been left in hot cars. But leaving pets out in the garden for too long without shade or taking them for a walk at the hottest part of the day can be very dangerous too.”

With the recent rise in temperatures, may dog welfare organisations have been warning dog owners about the dangers of heatstrokes. Dogs Trust has released a list of tips to minimise the risk, which can can be found here.

Images by Julian Brown for PDSA.