Dog saved after devouring dummy teats and glow stick

When Megan Marron, 22, noticed that her usually bouncy 11-month-old Caverpoo Rosie was sick and lethargic, she knew something was very wrong and took her straight to the Middlesbrough PDSA Pet Hospital.

X-rays revealed "a potentially fatal blockage in her intestine and several other items in Rosie’s stomach".

Rosie. Photo by Dave Charnley Photography.

Rosie. Photo by Dave Charnley Photography.

PDSA Vet Nigel Crane said, “Dogs often use their mouth to investigate objects, and sometimes swallow things by mistake. Although objects sometimes pass through without harm, some get stuck in the dog’s stomach or intestines, which is extremely dangerous and can be life-threating.”

This was clearly Rosie's case, but the vets couldn't tell what the objects were until she was on the operating table. Surgery was risky, as poor Rosie was already very weak when she arrived at the hospital, but it was her only chance of survival. The staff were quite baffled when they realised what the offending objects were: three dummy teats and a glow stick.

“I don’t know how she got hold of these things," Megan said. "The dummies must have been my daughter’s but they’re not usually left lying around. I have absolutely no idea where she got hold of a glow stick though!”

Fortunately, Rosie made a full recovery and was soon back home with her overjoyed - and now very watchful - family.

Vet Nigel said, "PDSA vets have removed very bizarre items from pets over the years, including tent pegs, kitchen knives, radio aerials and plenty of toys. Signs that your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t include being sick, drooling excessively or having difficulty breathing. Call your vet immediately if you notice any of these things. It’s also a good idea to teach your dog basic commands such as ‘leave’ and ‘drop’ from a young age.”

Images courtesy by PDSA.

TagsPDSA