Spring care for your dog

Now that spring has officially sprung, you may be looking to spring clean your home and brighten up your living room and garden. Pets love to explore and a bouquet of fresh flowers will be very enticing, but many owners aren't aware that if ingested by our dog or cat, some of these flowers could be lethal. 

National charity Battersea is advising owners and have compiled a list of the most common houseplants and flowers that pose a risk to our pets:

Lilies

Lilies are popular and pretty flowers but the sweet scent of lilies can attract your curious cat and can cause severe kidney failure if they ingest any part of this flower. Brushing against the pollen can cause particles to cling to their fur which can be ingested during grooming. Certain types of lilies can also be harmful to dogs. Avoid having these types of plants in your house.

Daffodils

Often associated with Spring and Mother’s Day in the UK, any portion of this plant can be highly toxic to cats. It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, convulsions and can cause a drop in blood pressure. The bulb of a daffodil is the most dangerous for dogs and cats.

Tulips and hyacinths

The bulb of a tulip is poisonous to dogs and cats. Ingestion of this can cause vomiting and breathing difficulties.

Aloe Vera

Although this plant has great healing properties for human skin, there are parts of this plant that are dangerous to your dog or cat. The white sap that comes out when the leaf is broken is poisonous to your pets. 

Ivy

These are familiar plants in and around the home but for our four-legged friend ingesting its leaves in large quantities can cause breathing difficulties or a coma.

Dieffenbachia

Also known as dumb cane, these plants may have a name you might not know, but they are a common houseplant that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, a burning sensation of the lips, tongue and mouth, leading to breathing difficulties in dogs and cats.

Other common flowers and plants that are poisonous includes foxgloves, azaleas, crocus and cyclamen (also known as sowbread).

Advice

If you think your dog or cat has been in contact with any of these plants or have any of these symptoms, seek veterinary care straight away. Remove any toxic plants from the house if you think they might be dangerous and check any flower or plant before bringing it into your home.

If your dog is a chewer, move houseplants out of reach and spray them with natural pet repellent (rather than chemical ones). This should help to deter your dog away from the plants.