In severe weather, Dogs Trust has produced the following advice for pet owners:
- Ensure you know where your pets are at all times and, if appropriate, move them to a safer location either inside the house (for example, upstairs) or outside the house (with friends or relatives).
- Flood water may contain all sorts of contamination, so try to keep yourself and your pets out of it.
- If your dog gets caught in flood water please do not jump in after him as this could put you at risk. Many dogs are excellent swimmers and will try to swim out if encouraged to do so. Contact the emergency services or your local authority dog warden who will be able to help.
- If you’re unable to exercise your dog, try to keep him mentally stimulated by using activity toys.
- If you have been affected by flooding and need someone to care for your dog in the short term, contact friends and family to see if they can help. If not, your local authority may be able to help.
For further advice contact your local Dogs Trust Rehoming Centre – visit http://tinyurl.com/89jz94r or tel. 020 7837 0006.