- Make sure your dog has his own space to go to, so he doesn’t feel overwhelmed during the festivities.
- Tidy up any loose Christmas tree light cables.
- Remind visitors to shut external doors behind them, so your dog can’t escape.
- Stick to your dog’s normal routine; for example, walks and mealtimes.
- Brief visitors on the pet house rules, so your dog doesn’t develop bad habits.
- Keep an eye on the calories. There’s no harm in a few cheeky morsels, but if everyone gives the dog a sausage it’s not going to be long before you get a pooch with an upset stomach.
- Don’t let your dog eat chocolate, grapes, raisins and onions as they can be poisonous. Turkey bones can also be dangerous.
- Don’t let fireworks ruin New Year’s Eve. Battersea Dogs & Cats Home offers advice on helping your dog cope during the fireworks.
Paul O’Grady and Battersea dogs will be bringing Christmas cheer to millions of households across the UK in an ITV1 special of Paul O’Grady: For the Love of Dogs. The one-hour Christmas special, which is filmed at Battersea, is on ITV1 at 6pm on Christmas Day.