top-banner
top-banner
top-banner

Last year’s damp summer and mild winter conditions were ideal for slugs and snails, to the dismay of any gardener. However, these unassuming creatures present an even greater threat to dogs.

Lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) is a parasite that dogs become infected with after eating common garden slugs and snails carrying the parasite larvae. Once inside the dog’s system, the parasite travels through the body eventually ending up in the heart.

If the infection is left untreated, the dog’s health can rapidly deteriorate, often resulting in death.

March is ‘Lungworm Awareness Month’, and the campaign is urging owners to be extra vigilant of the signs of lungworm, from March onwards, in the UK.

For further information, or to discuss your dog’s parasite protection plan, please contact your local veterinary practice. More details on the campaign can be found at www.lungworm.co.uk

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here