The great weather we’ve been having is good news for ticks, too – and to help raise awareness of the blood-sucking pests, FRONTLINE® Spot On has teamed up with TV star Kate Humble. She’s urging dog-lovers to use a monthly preventative to protect their pet from ticks and the diseases they carry.
Top tips for tick-spotting?
* Always check your dog after going out for a walk, especially in grassy areas on the edges of parks and forests.
* Part their fur, especially around their ears and neck, and see if you can see any parasites lurking.
* Groom your dog regularly and look out for any small grey dots on the skin. As the tick feeds it gets bigger, growing to the size of a bean.
* When the tick has had its fill it will eventually drop off, but it’s wise to remove it as soon as possible. It’s important to remove the entire tick, as leaving part of it embedded in your dog could lead to infection.
* With a pair of blunt-nosed tweezers grab the tick as close to your dog’s skin as possible. With a gentle pressure twist the tick out, disposing of it carefully; remember ticks can latch on to humans as well!
Click here to listen to an interview with Kate…