Spring is finally – almost! – here, to the relief of many. For dog owners the longer days, better weather and milder temperatures also mean longer and better walks with their dogs.

But it’s not all butterflies and flowers, as even those might hide dangers for your pets. Sarah Solomon, Practice Manager of Heath Veterinary Clinic in Burgess Hill and Hurstpierpoint, offers some advice on the hidden hazards and how to avoid them.


Flowering bulbs such as tulips, daffodils and hyacinths are poisonous to dogs, cats and rabbits. Ingesting any part of the plant can lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea and in some cases increased heart and respiratory rates.

Be careful with the flowers you take inside the house as well; some seasonal favourites such as lilies are extremely toxic to cats, and can cause seizure and kidney failures. Before taking any flowers inside your home, it is best to check online for a full list of poisonous plants – and it is also good practice to take a good look around your garden before you let your pets out.

Organic fertilizers can also be highly toxic and, while great for plants, they are best kept well out of your dog’s reach.

As Easter approaches, keep in mind that chocolate is highly toxic for pets. Be on the lookout for any Easter eggs that may be hidden around for children to find as your dog might find them as well. In case of accidental consumption, take your friend to the vet as quickly as possible.

Image provided by the Heath Veterinary Clinic through pixabay.com.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here