top-banner
top-banner
top-banner

Tip: Click the image above to view the whole infographic

We all love our furry friends and love to spoil them with treats but what’s a treat for us is not necessarily a treat for your dog or pup, and could be very harmful. This infographic looks at key foods that can be harmful, possibly deadly, to your pooch that you didn’t know about.

Fruit & Veg

  • Onions – Onions contain compounds which can be harmful to your dogs or puppies if ingested in large enough quantities and damage red blood cells in dogs. In the worse case scenario, dogs have been known to require blood transfusions.
  • Garlic – Being part of the onion family, garlic can affect your dog’s red blood cells and, can cause them to be sluggish and reluctant to move. In severe cases, dogs would need a blood transfusion.
  • Grapes – Grapes can be extremely toxic to your dogs. While a tasty treat to us, grapes and raisins can be very harmful and can cause rapid kidney failure. While it is currently unknown why this happens, as well as kidney failure, grapes can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, dehydration and a lack of appetite.
  • Avocados – Avocados contain persin, which occurs naturally in the fruit, which can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and heart problems.
  • Apple Cores & Seeds – The casing of apple seeds and apple cores can be toxic to your pooch as they contain a chemical called amygdalin and could release cyanide when ingested in large enough quantities.
  • Mushrooms – Mushrooms are best avoided. Especially when out on walks or if you spot some sprouting in the garden, as the wrong kind of mushrooms can be harmful.
  • Macadamia Nuts – Macadamias have chemicals which can be very harmful to your dogs if ingested. A recent discovery, dogs have been known to develop weakness wit difficulties in walking, vomiting, staggering gait, depression, tremors and hypothermia.

Dairy Products

  • Chocolate – It contains caffeine and theobromine, which is a methylxanthine, which can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures, and death
  • Milk – While puppies do enjoy milk, fresh from the tap, dogs struggle with digesting dairy products. Much like how some humans are lactose intolerance, dogs don’t have the enzymes to break down milk sugar and can lead to a number of problems such as; vomiting, diarrhoea, and other stomach problems.
  • Cheese – Just like milk, your pooch can have problems digesting cheese and can lead to a number of gastric problems such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and excessive farting.

Meat & Fish

  • Fat Trimmings – Just like for humans, fat trimmings are not a healthy treat. While most dog owners enjoy giving their furry friend scraps from dinner, please ensure to cut off the fatty parts as it may cause pancreatitis.
  • Cooked Bones – While cooked are not poisonous to your dog or pup, when bones are cooked they can easily splinter. Naturally, this can cause a horrible injury or choke on the shards, which no one wants.
  • Others
  • Alcohol – While it might seem fun to give your pooch a few licks of your beer, it is not a good idea as alcohol can be extremely harmful and may even result in death.
  • Xylitol (Sweetener) – A common sugar alcohol found in sweets, baked goods, and other sugar substitutes, xylitol can be toxic, even in small amounts. It can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and even death for young dogs and puppies.

Disclaimer – Should you have any concerns with which types of food you should feed your dog, please consult your vet.

Sources – Purina, Canine Journal, Foodbeast, CityPups

This story is a guest submission and does not reflect the views of Dogs Monthly Magazine, always consult a qualified expert.

If you have a story you’d like to post, just click here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here