We’ve talked about the dangers Christmas food and drink pose to dogs, but there are other new dangers in the home over the festive period.

Pets at Home is warning pet owners of the numerous festive hazards they should watch out for with their Christmas infographic. With a home full of decorations and present, there’s an array of potential new toys, smells and tastes for our furry friends. Many popular Christmas items that seem harmless enough to us can be unsafe and unsuitable for pets – including the festive plant poinsettias, mince pies and pine needles from the Christmas tree.

Dr Maeve Moorcroft, Veterinary Advisor for Pets at Home, said, “Christmas can be overwhelming at times for pets, with lots for them to take in – new people, different smells and a change in their routine. Add to this all the delicious food on offer and beautiful decorations, and Christmas can actually pose significant health and safety risks for dogs, cats and small animals.

“With a little extra care and attention, you can ensure your pet has as great a Christmas as you. After all, they’re counted as our loved ones too!”

Christmas hazards:

  • Keep fairy lights out of reach so they cannot chew through,
  • Vacuum regularly to reduce the risk of real or fake pine needles being ingested by your pet,
  • Be careful with edible decorations and chocolate gifts under the tree – chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs and other pets,
  • Mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding contain raisins, which are also toxic for dogs,
  • Cooked turkey or chicken bones can splinter and cause serious issues for your pet, so DON’T feed them any,
  • Christmas plants like poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, ferns and pine sap are poisonous to cats and dogs,
  • Keep tinsel out of reach of pets  it can cause serious internal damage,
  • Keep burning candles on high shelves or mantels where you know your pet can’t reach.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here