Daffodil danger

With spring fast approaching, I have heard that daffodils are poisonous. What care should I take when walking my dog?

Paul Manktelow advises…

Spring is my favourite time of year! However, you are right to be guarded about certain flowers.

Daffodils contain alkaloids, which can irritate the digestive tract. While the bulbs are the most toxic part, the flowers, stems and even the water they have been standing in (if in the house) can be poisonous. Signs associated with daffodil poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling and lethargy.

Bluebells are another common springtime flower that can make dogs unwell if consumed. All parts of the plant, including the bulb, are poisonous. Bluebells contain scillarens, which are chemicals that can slow the heart rate. It is unlikely that your dog will become seriously intoxicated, but it is important you are aware of the plant’s potential danger. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and disorientation.

You should contact your vet immediately if you think your dog may have eaten either of these flowers.

Related articles:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here