With Easter just around the corner, Dogs Trust is reminding dog owners that their canines and their Easter eggs don’t mix.

Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and Dogs Trust Manchester is asking people to “lock up the choc” to keep them safe this Easter. Ahead of the Easter break, the charity is offering tips to chocolate loving dog owners to help them avoid an unexpected trip to the vets.  

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Excessive thirst
  • Hyperactivity
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Tremors and potentially seizures

So to avoid these problems, the charity says:

  • Lock up the choc! If you have a doggie detective keep chocs out of sight and smell
  • Never feed your dog any type of chocolate that is intended for humans
  • If you suspect your dog has consumed any chocolate, contact your vet immediately

Dawn Bishop, Dogs Trust Manchester Manager, explains, “If your dog gets hold of an Easter egg it can be really dangerous. Human chocolate contains theobromine which is fine for us, but toxic to dogs. It’s a myth that dark chocolate won’t hurt as the darker the chocolate the worse the effects. In short, any chocolate can have serious consequences. We don’t have to leave our canine companions out this Easter, you can offer them dog-friendly treats like carrots, chicken or dog treats. But remember, moderation is key so be sure to talk to your vet before adding anything new into your dog’s diet.”

If you suspect your dog may have eaten chocolate, don’t delay and take them to the vets straight away.

Have a good Easter!

Credit: Dogs Trust

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here