top-banner
top-banner
top-banner

A crafty canine stunned staff at Beech House Veterinary Surgery, Warrington, when she avoided major surgery after swallowing a needle and thread.

Despite the danger of her predicament, Bow, a 15-month-old Springer Spaniel, escaped unscathed when the sewing instrument passed seamlessly through her system.

Vet Agnieszka Hanszke managed to avoid operating by carefully pulling the sharp instrument out the other end, and said Bow was ‘very lucky’ she didn’t suffer any serious internal injuries.

Vet Agnieszka Hanszke is pictured checking over Bow.

Bow’s owner Mrs Sharon Taylor-Booth said, “My husband, Darren had been sewing the seam of his work trousers and when he’d finished, he put the needle back in the bobbin in a cup holder on the arm of the chair.

“A while later, he noticed the bobbin had moved and that the needle had gone. We knew Bow must have got hold of the bobbin so we searched everywhere for the needle but couldn’t find it.

“We knew if it wasn’t on the floor, it was in the dog so we called the vets straight away who said they would X-ray her to check.”

Vet Agnieszka Hanszke (left) is pictured with Bow and her family; Sharon Taylor-Booth and her children Jess, 17 and 10-year-old Joe.

Bow was anesthetised while an X-ray was carried out and Agnieszka was shocked at what she found, “When Bow arrived at the surgery, she was perfectly fine. She appeared bright, had been eating well and was wagging her tail. 

“Dogs who swallow foreign objects are usually poorly or being sick, so I didn’t expect to find anything on the X-ray. But when I saw the needle was in her rectum, it was a massive surprise. Rather than operate, I decided to see if I could reach it and thankfully, I managed to do so and carefully pulled it out.

“She was very lucky because as it was a sharp object, it could have gone anywhere, it could’ve punctured or ruptured her stomach or intestine or gone missing in her abdomen or spleen.

“The fact that hadn’t happened and the fact that her caring owners noticed the needle was gone and had Bow X-rayed was very lucky.” 

Bow’s X-ray clearly shows the needle in her digestive system.

Agnieszka is no stranger to operating on dogs who have swallowed strange items. Working for the independently-owned Willows Veterinary Group practice for almost 12 years, she has had to remove a pair of knickers and a Kinder Egg complete with Minion toy from dogs’ stomachs.

Bow’s owner adds, “I was shocked when the X-Ray revealed the needle was indeed inside her and was on its way out.

“She was so lucky she didn’t need to have surgery or that it didn’t cause any internal damage, especially with the amount of miles she walks every day, which could have caused it to jiggle about inside her, it was miraculous really.

“Now, we are being extra vigilant making sure we don’t leave anything lying around.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here