top-banner
top-banner
top-banner

Pets are part of the family so it’s only natural to want to include them in our celebrations. However, during Eastertime it’s important to stay vigilant as traditional foods, flowers and decorations can be extremely harmful if ingested by your pet.

Digestive upset is a common reason for pet owners making visits to their vet during Eastertime, and this is usually because of the yummy Easter treats and chocolate available around the home for pets to get their paws on.

To help keep pets happy and healthy this Easter Nutravet has highlighted some hazards for owners to be aware of:

Chocolate

Many owners will already be aware that chocolate is extremely harmful to our pets. It contains a powerful stimulant called theobromine that pets can’t cope with, so even a small amount is strongly discouraged. Keep chocolate eggs and treats out of reach from your pet and remind family members not to feed them any. As an alternative, keep some of your cat or dogs favourite treat at hand to ensure they aren’t left out.

Easter Grass

Easter Grass is a colourful decoration used to line baskets, but they contain plastic materials which could be harmful to pets if swallowed. Try using alternatives like tissue paper instead and keep all decorations out of reach from pets.

Hot Cross Buns

Eaten during Eastertime, this tasty treat usually contains raisins, currants or sultanas – which are all toxic to pets and could leave them feeling very unwell. Be sure to keep these hidden away to avoid any upset tummies and unwanted trips to the vet.

Easter plants

Flowers and plants that add some colour to our homes or gardens at this time of year, such as daffodils and lilies can be toxic to our pets. Lilies contain unknown toxins that if ingested by cats can cause tummy upsets, even a small amount can result in kidney failure. Daffodils contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and excessive salivation in pets.

Spring bulbs

Bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant for pets, often what grows out of them are poisonous too. It’s advisable to keep an eye on dogs in the garden, as they can often dig and root up bulbs out of curiosity.

Sweets

Like chocolate, human sweets and treats should not be fed to pets, especially those that are sugar-free. Sugar-free foods may contain a synthetic sweetener called xylitol, which is extremely toxic to cats and dogs.

Roast dinner

Many of us will be sitting down to a special roast dinner this Easter. Many owners like to give their pets table scraps like leftover meat and potatoes. Even though this seems safe it’s important to try and resist letting your furry friend help you out as fatty meat like pork can lead to sensitive tummies. Feeding scraps can also lead to obesity for our pets, as human food is usually high in fat, salt and sugar.

If you are worried your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, consult your vet straight away. Your vet will be able to advise the best course of action dependant on what your pet has eaten or ingested.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here