A nine-year-old Corgi has made a full recovery after a 10-inch long stick was removed from his stomach. Thanks to brand new CT scanning equipment at Severn Veterinary Centre, vets spotted the thin stick, removing it before any damage was caused.
Owners Brian and Pat Davies initially took Barney to the vet surgery after he seemed tired and not his usual self. His appetite remained the same so they were shocked to eventually find he had swallowed the stick.
Brian said, “We couldn’t believe it. Barney had been off colour so we took him to the vets but they couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. As days went by a small lump started to protrude from his side. As it then started to grow a little more we feared it may be a sign of cancer so we took him back to the vets.
“We agreed for a CT scan to be taken and it was then that the stick was found. This came as a huge shock as we presumed he would have been off his food with something so significant in his stomach. Our garden contains lots of shrubs and plants so we reckon he wolfed down the stick when scurrying around. It’s remarkable it didn’t cause more harm.”
The CT scanner is part of a £650,000 transformation at Severn Veterinary Centre’s Berkeley House practice. Heidi Whieldon, veterinary surgeon at Severn Vets, said, “The stick didn’t show on a regular x-ray and blood and tissue tests weren’t showing anything unusual.
“The new CT scanner technology we have at Berkeley House allowed us to discover the cause of Barney’s discomfort with the stick having pierced through his stomach and abdomen and was causing the swelling and a hard lump on his skin.
“We operated on him to remove the stick and after a short period of recovery he was back to his normal self.
“The introduction of a CT scanner at the practice is great for us and pet owners as it enables more clinical investigation and enhanced diagnostic abilities, particularly for our orthopaedic work, soft tissue cases and referral work.”
Find out more at www.severnvets.co.uk