Vet charity PDSA is warning pet owners to keep Easter eggs well out of reach after a Chihuahua with a sweet tooth needed life-saving treatment.
Two-year-old Bailey found a milk chocolate Easter egg under the pillow of her owner’s seven-year-old son, and gobbled it down. Soon enough, owner Tracy noticed something was not right.
“He became really lethargic and just wasn’t himself. Soon after I found torn up Easter egg foil with all the chocolate gone, so I knew he needed to be seen urgently,” she said.
“I rang PDSA immediately and they advised me to bring him straight in.”
Vets at Gillingham PDSA Pet Hospital rushed Bailey in as an emergency, knowing full well his small size meant that even small amounts of chocolate could prove deadly.
PDSA Senior Vet Soo Ming Teoh said, “We estimated that Bailey had eaten about half an Easter egg, which is an extremely dangerous amount for a dog of his very small size, therefore we knew he was at risk of serious disturbances to his heart rhythm or even seizures.
“Thankfully he was brought in very quickly and we were able to give him life-saving treatment before too much of the toxin got into his system. He needed close monitoring and intravenous fluid support due to an increased heart rate, likely caused by the amount of chocolate he’d eaten. But after a few hours of observation and treatment he was able to go home with instructions to keep a close eye on him overnight.”
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Signs your pet may have eaten chocolate can include excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea, a tender tummy and restlessness. Thankfully, Bailey has since recovered well.
Tracy says, “It took him a little while to fully recover from his ordeal but thankfully he is back to his usual self now and we’re keeping chocolate well out of reach so we don’t have to go through this scary experience again.”